Research: Hypertension, CVD Prevention, and Dementia
MBBS in 1996 and has been practicing medicine for the past 20 years. Completed Master’s degree in Health Care Research and Clinical Drug Development from Queen Mary University of London. He also works at Barts Hypertension Clinic as a European Accredited specialist in hypertension. He has special interest in Cardiovascular and Dementia research. He is chair of Brent Research ethics committee and has been a expert member with HRA REC for 5 years.
Summary of Research
Research interests include Hypertension (pharmacotherapy and devise based treatments), CVD prevention/ treatment and dementia. He has been a leading investigator on several cardiovascular outcome studies with GLP1 analogues, DPP4 and SGLT2 inhibitors in diabetes, acute coronary syndrome, CETP modulators, PCSK-9 inhibitors and Omega-3 treatment in dyslipidaemia, anti-coagulation with NOACs, new heart failure therapies. He also has interest in early dementia looking at genetic risk profiling and new therapies targeting Beta2- amyloid.
Memberships / Awards
- Fellow European society of Hypertension.
- Fellow British Hypertension Society.
- Award for leading commercial investigator by NIHR.
Members of the Group
- Member European Society of HTN
- Member European Society of Cardiology
- Member Joint British and Irish Hypertension Society
- Re-treatment with varenicline for smoking cessation in smokers who have previously taken varenicline: A randomized, placebo-controlled trial. Gonzales D, (investigators) Saxena M, Clin Pharmacol Ther. 2014 Jun 9. doi: 10.1038/clpt.2014.124
- Central arteriovenous anastomosis for the treatment of patients with uncontrolled hypertension (the ROX CONTROL HTN study): a randomised controlled trial, Lobo M, (investigators) Saxena M, The Lancet, Volume 385, Issue 9978 , 1634 – 1641. DOI: doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(14)62053-5
- Kapil, V., Sobotka, P. A., Saxena, M., Mathur, A., Knight, C., Dolan, E., Lobo, M. D. (2015). Central Iliac Arteriovenous Anastomosis for Hypertension: Targeting Mechanical Aspects of the Circulation. Current Hypertension Reports, 17(9). doi:10.1007/s11906-015-0585-6
- Williams B, et al., Saxena M, Spironolactone versus placebo, bisoprolol, and doxazosin to determine the optimal treatment for drug-resistant hypertension (PATHWAY-2): a randomised, double-blind, crossover trial, The Lancet, Volume 386, Issue 10008, 21–27 November 2015, Pages 2059–2068
- Saxena M., Antoniou, S., Hamedi, N., de Cates, C., Moghul, S., Lidder, S., Lobo, M. D. (2016). Management of Hypertensive Patients with Multiple Drug Intolerances: A Single-Center Experience of a Novel Treatment Algorithm. The Journal of Clinical Hypertension, 18(2), 129-138. doi:10.1111/jch.12637
- Wolff, C. B., Collier, D. J., Shah, M., Saxena, M., Brier, T. J., Kapil, V., Lobo, M. (2016). A Discussion on the Regulation of Blood Flow and Pressure..Adv Exp Med Biol, 876, 129-135. doi:10.1007/978-1-4939-3023-4_16
- Burchell, A. E., Chan, K., Ratcliffe, L. E. K., Hart, E. C., Saxena, M., Collier, D. J., Baumbach, A., Lobo MD, (2016). Controversies Surrounding Renal Denervation: Lessons Learned From Real-World Experience in Two United Kingdom Centres. The Journal of Clinical Hypertension, n/a. doi:10.1111/jch.12789
- Saxena M, Antoniou S, Hamedi N, Robinson P, Singh H, Mukhtar O, Lobo M D (2016). Multiple drug-intolerant hypertension: a case series utilising a novel-treatment algorithm. British Journal of General Practice, 66(645), e285-e287. doi:10.3399/bjgp16X684709
- De Jager R L, Sanders M F, Bots M L, Lobo M D, Ewen S, Beeftink M, Saxena M, Blankestijn P J, (2016). Renal denervation in hypertensive patients not on blood pressure lowering drugs. Clin Res Cardiol. doi:10.1007/s00392-016-0984-y
- Floyd CN, Adeel MY, Wolff CB, Julu P, Shah M, Collier DJ, Saxena M, Brier T, Ng F, Kapil V, Mukhtar O, Radunovic A, Sutcliffe N, Sharif F, O'Brien T, Lobo MD (2016). First-in-man treatment of severe blood pressure variability with baroreflex activation therapy. International Journal of Cardiology 220:577-579. doi:10.1016/j.ijcard.2016.06.308
- Ng FL, Saxena M, Mahfoud F, Pathak A, Lobo MD. Device based therapy for Hypertension. Current Hypertension Reports 18(8) Aug 2016. doi: 10.1007/s11906-016-0670-5
- Saxena M, Sobotka PA, Hamshere SM, Jain A, Mathur A, Knight C, Collier DJ, Lobo MD, Antihypertensive Effects of a Central AV Anastomosis Are Mediated Through Profound Reduction in Systemic Vascular Resistance. Circ Cardiovasc Interv; doi: 10.1161/CIRCINTERVENTIONS.116.004012