Welcome to the William Harvey Research Institute (WHRI) at Barts and The London, School of Medicine and Dentistry.
The William Harvey offers a vibrant, fully integrated clinical and basic science environment devoted to understanding basic pathogenic mechanisms and therapeutic innovation in cardiovascular, inflammatory and endocrine diseases. Since 2001 William Harvey Investigators have published in high impact journals such as Nature, Nature Genetics, Nature Biotechnology, The Lancet, Circulation, Journal of Experimental Medicine and the Journal of Immunology and spent over £33 M on research. These successes have led to the William Harvey being ranked amongst the top 20 pharmacological research institutions in the World based upon citations (according to The Scientist, 2004). The William Harvey was founded by the Nobel Laureate Sir John Vane in 1986 upon the picturesque Charterhouse Square campus where we have state-of the art laboratories, a Genome Centre [new window], Protein Analysis Unit and a Clinical Research Centre enabling us to translate observations at the bench into clinical study. Over past 20 years the William Harvey has grown to number more than 196 researchers drawn from 44 nations and several of our principal investigators are among the 100-most cited pharmacologists in the World. We are currently celebrating the first 20 years of success at the William Harvey.
Our mission is:
- To provide a world-class environment for the prosecution of leading edge research into cardiovascular, inflammatory and endocrine diseases.
- To generate new knowledge and understanding of key disease processes and to develop new therapeutic targets and treatment modalities to translate into patient care.
- To provide a high quality teaching service to the medical school, and to actively promote the teaching and understanding of pharmacology.
- To provide high quality training for postgraduate students, to both masters and PhD level.
- To actively promote the personal development of young promising scientists.
- To develop international partnerships to promote pharmacological research and teaching worldwide.
If you would like more information about Careers, Doctoral or Masters Programmes or courses at the William Harvey please feel free to contact us.
The WHRI disclaims connection with or responsibility for any e-mail purporting to be on behalf of researchers from the institute. Our research is not executed in this manner and e-mails claiming to be from the WHRI asking for personal details should be deleted immediately.